Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Y'ALL know what Y'ALL means?



   This week's wrap up: A BAPTISM, meeting President and Hermana Pack, zone conference, family tree app, and I'M 6 MONTHS OLD!

     Well first off..... EDITH GOT BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!! Saturday was such a special day for this special lady.  Edith is such an amazing miracle! We didn't find her, she found us.  We met her June 7th, so not too long ago.  She moved here from Honduras; leaving her family-her parents, siblings, 4 year old son and her boyfriend to come and work to make money for them.  She has sacrificed a lot, and so we were really happy to help her get baptized. It had been something she
wanted for a while. She had been already taking discussions in Honduras, and so she was well prepared!  Well, we finally were able to have a baptism for her on Saturday.  The spirit was so strong and she knew that she was making the right choice.  I wish you could've seen her face, she was radiating with joy.  On Sunday, when she got confirmed-received the gift of the Holy Ghost, you could really tell how happy she was.  Here on my mission, I have witnessed a physical change in people after receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Those who have this gift should never forget and incredible of a blessing it is! 😃. I am so grateful to have access of the restored priesthood of God here upon the earth.  I know that with all of my heart that it is the correct authority of God.

     Hermana Whiting and I did a small musical number and both gave a talk at the baptism.  (Yeah us Hermanas didn't get out of anything jaja 😑). The song was actually pretty fun to sing! We sang  Joseph Smith's first Prayer", but the last 3 verses were to the tune of "Come thou Fount."  This is one of my favorite hymns in Spanish.  I was a tiny bit nervous to give my talk about baptism because it was my first talk ever in Spain....  So that was bad enough but then I found out the new mission President and his wife would be attending the baptism!! They were already there to have missionary interviews, so they decided to attend their first baptism! So that was a little scary, but it ended up not being too bad!! I learned new things about baptism by preparing the talk! And guess what! My companion said my Spanish was good.. And so did President Pack later that night in my interview. Yay!! I'm actually progressing! Jaja. ☺️

     Earlier this week we first met President and Hermana Pack at out zone conference, Bueno, the "mission tour."  We met them and they talked about their family so we could get to know them better.  They are from Mississippi and Hermana Pack has a cute southern accent. When she first started speaking she said, "Ya'll know what y'all means right?" Haha it was funny.  They talked about the story of Peter, how he started to walk to Christ on the water but his faith was tested when he looked up in the waves.  This was perfect for me because sometimes, I have so much faith but I am only able to see "the waves." I was grateful for this meeting we had because it was just what I needed to hear.  I'm grateful for the little hard times here on my mission, because that is what makes me get on my knees and really plead with my God and savior to help me.  I know that he has a perfect plan for me, and for all of you too. 😊

     Okay, before I make this any longer and bore ya'll.. (Haha see what word I used there) I just wanted to say how cool the family history app is!! Now that we have iPads, we have easy access to do look through our family tree which has lots of pictures and stories of our ancestors.  One of my ancestors named Danielson Buren Barney, was baptized in Nauvoo, in the Mississippi River by Joseph Smith.  He said that he might've been the last person to be baptized by The Prophet
Jospeh Smith himself.  This was really cool for me to read because I felt like I have personal connection with The prophet of the restoration! I want to encourage all my Barney family to do some
family research, their stories are incredible, and it's so amazing to read their testimonies.

     Last thing,  I  CANNOT BELIEVE I AM 6 MONTHS OLD!!  It's crazy to think that this next transfer I will probably be going to my first new area!  The last couple of weeks I have been a little hard on myself because I was only able to focus on my weaknesses.  But my sister emailed me and shared the scripture in Alma about "..by small and simple things are great things come to pass.." Wow, it really is true. I started looking at my MTC journal and realized I really have grown a lot!  Something that made me smile was when we saw President Lovell, my favorite (my MTC pres) outside of our Zone Conference, and looked at all of the sisters there and said, "You know what, there really isn't an Hermana here in Madrid that isn't perfect."  Oh my gosh I love him!  He is such a special person to me.  So anyway, I've learned this week that even though there are so many things I think I can't do, there are more things that the Lord knows I can do,  I just need to put all my trust in him!

LOVE YOU ALL AND CONTINUE TO ENJOY SU VERANO!

Hermana Sydney Berry




No comments:

Post a Comment